Monday, February 27, 2012

Antiquing on I-20

On Saturday, we decided to make a trip to Madison Georgia and visit some friends who've renovated a dilapidated farmhouse. On the way, we stopped in a few antiques shops to find some odds & ends. Though I didn't find the nightstands I'm hunting for, it wasn't a total loss.

In Conyers, we stopped by Sadie's Antiques. I found her place on Craigslist & the inventory seemed interesting. She has over 6,000 square feet in downtown Conyers, so there was plenty to see. I'd never been to Conyers, but it was cute. It definitely has potential to be a super-cute town...it just needs some TLC. I was quite disappointed that the Sandwich Factory wasn't open on Saturdays. What's a girl supposed to do to get a sandwich?

Apparently, go to Chick-fil-a. With everyone else.

We stopped in another shop in downtown Covington. It wasn't quite what we were looking for, but it DOES house the "In the Heat of the Night" museum and also sell t-shirts from "The Vampire Diaries" since both were filmed there. Cricket stumbled upon those - I somehow missed them. Not until we were back on the road did he tell me there was also a "Dukes of Hazzard" section. I definitely would've checked that out.

Then, we headed onto Madison. We took the "back roads," as in, not the interstate.

Once in Madison, we shopped around in a few shops. There was a bridal show in town which, for some reason, had a shop owner in a tizzy. I couldn't quite figure it out, but he mentioned it on the phone at least 3 different times when customers called to ask a question. I picked up a set of water glasses at his place: J&K Antiques.

After Cricket was "antiqued out"--he really is a trooper, we headed to our friends' house. Our friends have done an AMAZING job with their house. When they bought it, it'd been left untouched for several years. As in, doors wide open & home to an Owl & a few squirrels untouched. Now, it looks like a magazine. I was too busy visiting to get many photos, but maybe I'll share them soon once I've had a chance to browse through them. It overlooks a pond, has a great wraparound back porch, and his office is a separate structure sitting over the pond. The character of the house is fantastic and I could easily live there. Easily.

Now, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some alterior motive for this weekend jaunt. I'm getting a slow itch to move out of the city, so this was an exploratory mission of sorts. And I hoped it'd get Cricket's mind turning in that direction. Of course, we both have great jobs in the city, and the commute already sucks. I don't know that moving an hour away is quite the answer. It's not anything we'll do now...maybe someday.

Have a great rest of the week!

1 comment: